Former Designer of Lanvin and Yves Saint Laurent Houses, Albert Elbaz Died at the Age of 59
It was reported that the famous fashion designer Albert Elbaz has passed away in Paris. He was the founder of the AZ Factory brand, as well as the creative director of the fashion houses Lanvin and Yves Saint Laurent in the past. According to media reports, death happened on April 24, and the cause was difficulties with health after coronavirus infection. He was 59 years old.
The future designer was born in Morocco and got an education in Israel. Later he moved to New York and in 1998 became the creative director of the French fashion house Yves Saint Laurent. After three significant seasons, he was then replaced by Tom Ford. Therefore, in 2001, he moved to the Lanvin fashion house, where he worked for the next 15 years. The brand, founded in 1889, is one of the oldest fashion houses in Paris. The designer has left his mark and achieved success based on his principle of putting women in the first place. In 2019, Elbaz launched his own fashion brand, AZ Factory, aimed at producing smart clothes for women.
The designer has never been afraid to experiment. Bright shades, large butterflies print, 3-D flowers on dresses- each new collection of the designer was met by critics with delight. Designer’s evening dresses have always been elegant with no transparent fabrics or “dangerous” cutouts. His devoted fans are Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Selena Gomez, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, Emma Roberts, Beyoncé, Uma Thurman, Kate Moss, and others. He also designed the wedding dress for Demi Moore and was awarded the Legion of Honor in 2016, for his contribution to the development of haute couture in France.
Some facts about the designer:
- He is known for his personal choice of style centered around the black costume and bow tie.
- In 2010, he presented his designs in collaboration with the popular brand H&M. The 48 piece collection was focused on cocktail dresses, animal print accessories, and floral decorations.
- His other collaborations include creating a custom Lanvin dress for Minnie Mouse for the 2013 Disneyland Paris 20th anniversary celebration.
- He said that if he was not a fashion designer, he would be a doctor.
- The designer often sent flowers to other designers before they present their new collections.