Dolce and Gabbana Brand History. Are You Ready To Get Closer to the Dream of Fashion?
How did two friends decide to create a company whose philosophy became an iconic style of Dolce and Gabbana brand and made it as a phenomenon?
Founders of the Fashion House
Who is Dolce and Gabbana? A little about Dolce and Gabbana biographies.
Domenico Dolce was born in 1958 in Palermo. The boy was described as a lazy, slow youth. His family was considered poor, despite the fact that his father ran a small garment factory.
From the age of 6, Domenico came to work with his father, where he quickly learned to skillfully sew and cut. He could sew on complex elements almost without looking. For accuracy and skill, Dolce’s family called him Mozart.
The Domenico family adhered to strict patriarchal orders, and it was considered a crime to go against the will of his father. But nevertheless, the young man decided not to continue the family dolce fashion business but went to receive an art education. After graduation, Domenico went to live in Milan.
Stefano Gabbana was born in 1963 in Milan. His father was a famous urban stylist, although he was not married to Stefano’s mother. From an early age, the young man did not need anything, and his desires were immediately fulfilled. Gabbana was very fond of smart clothes and had a large wardrobe.
The young man drew well from an early age and literally never parted with a pencil. Gabbana entered college for the graphics department, and soon after graduation left to work in the studio as an apprentice. There he met with Domenico Dolce – his future partner not only in business but also in life.
In 1987, in Dolce and Gabbana history the fashion house began sewing textiles, and two years later, swimwear and underwear.
In 1990, the brand began producing collections for men. The first line was very successful and even won the Woolmark.
Since 1992, the house has been experimenting with perfumery. The first women’s perfume had an unpretentious name (Dolce & Gabbana Parfum), but a complex, memorable bouquet. And since 1996, men’s perfumery has also been produced.
But the real sensation was caused by the fragrances The One, Light Blue and L’Imperatrice 3, released later in the 2000s.
In 1994, the designers began production of the D&G clothing line. It was intended for young people who wanted to be fashionable but did not have a lot of money for this. The collection had bold features, and its design showed disrespect for fashion itself. But the line did not last long. In 2011, fashion designers discontinued D&G.
In 1993, Dolce and Gabbana owner made stage outfits for Madonna’s world tour. Fashion designers adore her very much, consider her their friend and muse. In less than 2 months, they created 1,500 (yes, that’s how many) costumes, many of which were hand-finished. It’s funny that the Dolce Gabbana family did not agree on the amount of the deal in advance and worked almost for free. But this fact did not upset them at all. They said that they had already earned so much that they would not have time to spend everything.
Basic Clothing Line Dolce & Gabbana
What is Dolce and Gabbana?
In Dolce and Gabbana designer creations, the creative duo Domenico and Stefano create clothes that will definitely not leave anyone indifferent. The created Dolce & Gabbana collections embody a certain contrast between passion and serenity. Designers in their work make the fashionable audience emotionally – admire or, on the contrary, cause amazement, even shock. All collections in one way or another are saturated with the Sicilian atmosphere, which in no way better conveys the style of brand.
- women’s and men’s clothing, accessories, perfumery;
- collections of scarves and ties;
- beachwear and underwear;
- sunglasses and prescription glasses;
The fashion house creates about 30 collections annually. At almost every show, designers present a product that stands out from the rest. For example, in 1990, fashion designers made the famous bustier dress. As the creators themselves put it, this dress can be called “the true embodiment of Dolce and Gabbana’s style.”
Celebrities and Fans of Dolce & Gabbana
Throughout the history of the Dolce Gabbana fashion brand, the brand has collaborated with many stars of show business. Gaining popularity, the Dolce & Gabbana company increasingly resorts to cooperation, making the face of its advertising campaigns of world-famous stars.
Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce call Madonna their main muse. For her, costumes for tours have been created more than once, also for publication and covers of fashion magazines, where the pop diva often dressed in a dress of a fashion brand. Such chic outfits were also created for the Beyonce and Mary J. Blige shows.
Advertising campaigns with the involvement of such celebrities as Monica Bellucci, Bianca Balti, who perfectly personifies the woman from Dolce & Gabbana, were noted with a special Italian flavor.
Such a young clothing brand, it has already earned the recognition of millions of people, and the brand’s popularity is measured in the company’s growing revenues. The collections of the brand are shown every season at Milan Fashion Week, which gathers the most fashionable audience.
Brand Name Facts
The products of the Dolce and Gabbana founder are produced under different trademarks:
- Dolce&Gabbana (no spaces) – expensive clothes, accessories, and perfumes.
- Dolce & Gabbana Basic is an inexpensive line with slightly lower quality.
- D&G Junior – products for children.
- D&G is a youth line that is now being created as part of Dolce & Gabbana.
If we talk about the name of the brand, then it is correct to write it with spaces – Dolce & Gabbana. These two words, but without space, refer only to the clothing line.
Dolce & Gabbana Is Not Only About Clothes
Famous fashion designers became cramped in the fashion world, and they went beyond it.
- In 2009, Sony Ericsson asked Dolce & Gabbana to help design a phone under the JALOU Dolce & Gabbana Ldt series.
- The designers also helped in the production of Citroën C3 and C3 Pluriel cars. The car is decorated with Swarovski crystals and high-quality leather.
- Fashion designers also cooperate with Martini & Rossi.
Although Dolce and Gabbana are no longer partners in life, they continue to create together. Their empire is built on mutual understanding, so the duo continues to delight all fans with new masterpieces.
At the moment, there are more than 80 original fragrances in the perfume collection. The earliest of them appeared in 1992, the last in 2019. Such masters of perfumery as Natalie Lorson, Jean-Pierre Marie, Max Gavarry, and many others worked on the creation of fragrant essences.
10 Interesting Facts About Dolce & Gabbana
- Dolce & Gabbana has a tremendous impact on the design world, for example, in 2002, corsets, considered a key part of Dolce & Gabbana’s early projects, were revived by many influential European designers.
- Dolce & Gabbana has co-authored nearly two dozen books in a photographic storytelling format, displaying selected collections. Some proceeds from book sales went to charities, in particular the Children’s Action Network.
- The design house bought the Il Metropol Theater in Milan, a historic cinema built in the 1940s. It was renovated and reopened in September 2000
- Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana participated in many scandalous stories: they were accused of racism, sexism, and homophobia.
- The founders of the brand adore art: they systematically hold art exhibitions, architectural expositions, and organize open days on the territory of their establishments.
- In 2006, brand opened IL GOLD – an establishment with a café, bar, bistro, and restaurants. This was followed in 2003 by the opening of a drinking establishment called Martini Bar at their Milan showroom. In 2006, another Martini Bar was opened at their Shanghai showroom.
- Dolce & Gabbana has made its logo iconic and instantly recognizable across continents. But they were never able to obtain the corresponding Internet address for DG.com. In fact, DG.com is one of the oldest domains, which was registered back in 1986 by the computer company Data General (now defunct). After the company was shut down in 1999, the URL was taken over by EMC, an American multinational corporation. Later, the domain name lost its owner again, and in 2010 a real war broke out between Dolce & Gabbana and Dollar General, which, alas, Dolce & Gabbana lost.
- Italian brand is actively involved in the sporting life of Italy. The company has been designing football suits for the Milan football club since 2004. In addition, Milan players wear Dolce & Gabbana clothing when attending official events. The designer duo also designed the costumes for the Italian national football team. Players dress up in them when attending social events. In 2010, Dolce & Gabbana signed a three-year contract with British football club Chelsea. For the agreement, the designers pledged to take on the development of sports uniforms and clothing that would be worn by players outside the game, as well as the entire staff of the club. Sportswear intended for the club included a navy blue lion suit on the breast pocket. The designers also redesigned the club’s lounge and main office reception area.
- D&G is the official sponsor of the Italian Milano Thunder boxing team.
- In 2018, representatives of Dolce & Gabbana in the official profiles of Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter posted a scandalous advertising video, which greatly upset the inhabitants of the Middle Kingdom, and the Koreans and Japanese. It depicted a Chinese model dressed in the brand’s clothing clumsily trying to consume Italian food with chopsticks. A day later, the company’s managers removed the video from social networks, but they failed to prevent the cancellation of a large-scale show in Shanghai. Some experts called the escalating scandal a commercial suicide of Dolce & Gabbana, after all, for the last decade, China has been the main source of income for the Italian brand.
We are sure that now you know more about brand and delve into the history with us.