With the Right Eye Base, You Can Be Sure Your Eye Makeup Looks Amazing Anytime and Anywhere
A lot of girls start makeup only after they have applied a primer to their skin, and for good reason. In this article, we will talk about the best eyeshadow primers, main characteristics and advantages, as well as about its varieties, alternative means, and rules of use.
Considering modern makeup requirements, the best eyeshadow primer has every reason to be considered a basic beauty product.
Girls who want to be on time for everything and, leaving the house early in the morning, return late in the evening, expect that all this time the makeup will remain invariably flawless. Without an eyelid primer, this is hardly possible. But it’s important to find one that won’t let you down.
What Is Eye Primer?
What is eyeshadow base? A primer is often confused with a concealer, although there are a number of major differences between the two. What is eye primer used for? A face primer is a product that is used to prepare the skin for makeup. All primers, without exception, even out the relief of the skin so that cosmetics are better distributed and last longer. But different species have their own specific features and functions: there are primers that matte, fill the pores, moisturize, perform color correction, and add radiance.
What Is a Primer For?
- The base works as a primer, hides wrinkles and fine vascular network, prevents shadows from clogging into the crease of the eyelid. Fine particles visually smooth the surface of the eyelid, making it smoother and smoother.
- Colorless or tinged, the best drugstore eyeshadow primer helps to hide signs of fatigue. It can be used as a standalone product, applied on and around the eyelids to “open up” your eyes and make you look visually fresher. At the same time, no one will guess that you are wearing makeup!
- A base will come in handy if your skin is prone to oily. The product perfectly mattifies the skin of the eyelids and prevents the shadows from rolling and the eyeliner from spreading.
- With an eye base, you can easily intensify the color of your eyeshadow. The pigment applied to the prepared skin looks much brighter. Plus, you can be sure that the tint on the eyelids will look exactly as it did in the packaging.
- A primer for eyeshadow can come in handy for more than just eye makeup. So, it can be applied to the lips to even out the skin surface, fill in the “wrinkles” and provide the makeup with resistance.
Types of Primers
What is a good eyeshadow primer?
- Liquid – Light transparent texture, usually water or oil-based. Suitable for all skin types.
- Cream – like milk or cream. Suitable for all skin types, ideal for dry skin.
- Gel – viscous texture, with caring and moisturizing components in the composition. Suitable for all skin types.
- Silicone is an ideal choice for oily and aging skin. It prevents excess sebum secretion, fills pores and wrinkles for an even skin texture. Not suitable for sensitive and problem skin types.
- Reflective – a primer with shimmery particles. Suitable for skin without any problems, it gives a natural glow. Can be used as a highlighter.
- Matting – silicone or cream best eyelid primer. This eyelid primer for oily eyelids and combination skin. Covers enlarged pores and smoothed the skin for a matte finish.
- Color-correcting primer and color concealer in one product. Even out skin tone.
- Tightening pores is an ideal choice for oily to combination skin.
- Anti-age – a primer with nourishing, moisturizing and anti-aging ingredients, as well as SPF filters. Fill wrinkles and nourish the skin.
- Moisturizer – top eyeshadow primer designed for dry skin. With oils, vitamin E and hyaluronic acid in the composition.
- Sunscreen – summer version with SPF filters, suitable for all skin types.
- Blur primers – retouch skin, leaving imperfections invisible.
Reasons to Use Eyeshadow Primer
- Firstly, it helps to decrease the skin of the eyelids, creating a base coat on their surface, on which the next layers of cosmetics are better fixed.
- Secondly, it evens out the relief of the skin of the eyelids, due to which makeup products are easier to distribute.
- Thirdly, the best eye primer provides long-lasting eye makeup. The shadows do not roll, do not collect in the folds of the eyelids, do not crumble. In a word, the makeup retains its original freshness for as long as possible. This is especially important if you are going to make smoky ice or arrows.
You can choose a waterproof eyeshadow base that matches your skin tone, or choose a different shade to brighten your powdery eyeshadow. There are even colorless and bright white varieties. Different primers will have different effects on your finished look, but all the formulas on this list will prolong and brighten your shadows by a few hours.
What is the best eyeshadow primer? Our special list will help you make your choice of the best eyeshadow primer.
Top-10 Best Primers
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base
Perfectly prep the skin on your eyelids with Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base. Available in many shades to match a variety of skin tones, the waterproof eye primer neutralizes redness and discoloration to ensure the color you apply on top appears true and even. The non-drying formula smooths over the eyelids, helping to keep your shadow in place for up to eight hours.
Benefit Eye Primer Stay Don’t Stray Primer
The benefit Stay Don’t Stray Primer preps, protects and perfects your eyelids so anything you wish to apply on top stays in place and crease-free all day long. The universally flattering shade can be used on all skin tones and will enhance the color of the eyeshadow you place on top.
NARS Cosmetics Pro Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
Create a seamless canvas for any eye look you wish to wear with NARS Cosmetics Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. Designed specially to maximize color intensity, the primer enhances your lid primer, making it look the best it possibly can while preventing fading and creasing. When applied to the skin, the primer transforms to a matte finish, perfectly prepping your lids for the next product.
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion undeniably holds cult product status in the world of beauty. The lightweight eyeshadow primer for oily eyelids helps to improve the look and wear of your eye makeup, keeping powders and creams in place for longer. Now available in a variety of shades to flatter different skin tones and makeup looks, the iconic formula can be used by everyone and even worn alone to keep oils at bay.
NYX Professional Makeup Eye Shadow Base
For smoothing and prolonging your oil-free eyeshadow primer, NYX Professional Makeup Eye Shadow Base is the perfect affordable eyeshadow primer. The base is available in five different shades to work perfectly on all different skin tones and types, keeping your shadow crease-free and smudge-proof all day long.
Smashbox Photo Finish 24 Hour Shadow Primer
Top-rated eye primer your lids before packing on color for extended wear with the Smashbox Photo Finish 24 Hour Shadow Primer; a studio-tested, sheer eye primer that locks on a more vibrant color for up to 24 hours without fading, creasing, or smudging. Sweat- and humidity-resistant, the Photo Finish Primer grips gel and powder eyeshadows for vivid, colorful lids that don’t fade.
Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eye Shadow Primer
In a handy transparent form for seamless application, Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eyeshadow Primer glides onto the skin and sets down to perfectly prep your eyelids. The primer creates canvas which your shadow sticks to, preventing any creasing or fading which could take place throughout the day. Locking down eyeshadow with up to 24 hours of wear, this hypoallergenic eye primer is one to watch.
Elizabeth Arden Advanced Eye Fix Primer
Elizabeth Arden Advanced Eye Fix Primer ensures your best eyeshadow primer for hooded eyes stays in place longer. Works as an invisible shield that blends seamlessly into the skin, creating the perfect base for your favorite eye product to be applied over. The primer ensures your eyeshadow fits perfectly, looks flawless, and stays in place all day and all night.
Clinique All About Shadow Primer for Eyes
Suitable eyeshadow primer for sensitive eyes, Clinique All About Shadow Primer for Eyes enhances the hold of your eyeshadow by creating a neutral foundation that truly makes the colors you apply vibrantly. If you are going to do makeup without makeup, use it alone to minimize redness and discoloration of the eyelids and keep your eyes bright and alert.
Sephora Collection Beauty Amplifier Eyeshadow Primer
This Sephora Collection primer is not only incredibly light but also translucent when it hits your skin. It instantly straightens the eyelids and makes them smoother and firmer.
In addition to being free of parabens, sulfates, or phthalates, the formula even contains chamomile extract, which soothes the skin and reduces redness in the eye area.
Primer Selection Options
Consider these three points to find the perfect one.
This is the first thing to pay attention to. Since the primer will become a daily use, the skin should feel comfortable after applying it. Pay attention to the characteristics and needs of the skin. If your skin is oily, pencils and eyeliners are likely to glide over it, making it difficult to create makeup. In this case, you need a rather dense textured base for the eyelids with a matting effect. And for those with dry skin, you can opt for a lighter, more airy texture that will also provide hydration.
Some primers only prepare the skin for eye makeup and facilitate the distribution of other products over the base coat. Others provide increased durability. And thanks to them, the makeup withstands any test – for example, in hot or high humidity conditions. Choose what is more relevant to your rhythm of life.
In addition to the “usual” primers, using concealer as eye primer is also possible. There are also variants of eyeshadow primer vs concealer with special and exclusive formulas.
Primer Application Rules
If you don’t know what to use instead of eyeshadow primer- first you need to cleanse the skin (using a gel or foam). Moisturize with day cream and wait until the product is absorbed into the skin.
Spread a small amount of the eyeshadow base over the face with light massage movements, moving from the center to the periphery. Make sure the base or alternatives to eyeshadow primer is completely absorbed before applying foundation.