A Complete Guide on How to Clean Suede Shoes at Home
Suede shoes are a staple shoe in any fashion-conscious wardrobe, they are a stylish addition to any outfit and pair brilliantly with your new fall get up. It’s not news that keeping your suede shoes looking in tiptop condition is a difficult feat. So why not find out how to clean suede shoes from the comfort of your own home by following this complete guide on how to care for suede shoes.
How to Clean Suede Shoes
Learning how to clean suede shoes with household products is easier than you may believe. Suede shoes are delicate and can become marked easily. Your first thought may be to head straight for the washing machine but trust us, that is not the way forward!
Cleaning suede shoes by hand is the best way to ensure you don’t do more damage and ruin your shoes further. There are many products and suede shoe cleaner items that can be used to care for your shoes, but it is also possible to create your own suede shoe cleaner using household products.
The differences in suede shoes mean that the remedies used to clean them are equally diverse in order to provide the ultimate care for each style. Below you will find a range of ways as to how to clean suede shoes based on the style/color of the shoe.
How to Clean Suede Vans
Vans are a popular brand amongst trainers and skateboarding shoe aficionados alike. And their vans in suede are ever-growing in popularity. However, with day to day wear they can quickly fade and gather dirt.
5 Steps to Take When Learning How to Clean Suede Vans
- Step 1. Remove the laces completely and if dirty soak them in soapy water.
- Step 2. Brush down your shoes using a suede brush or spare toothbrush.
- Step 3. Use a suede eraser or gently steam your shoes to remove stains.
- Step 4. If you don’t have an eraser, use a mixture of soap and water to lightly dab at stains.
- Step 5. Leave your vans to dry. Then brush once more to bring back the soft texture.
How to Clean White Suede Shoes
White shoes are vibrant and full of life, giving you that constant fresh crisp look. But as with all white clothing items, the worry of keeping them in brand new condition is very prevalent. White suede shoes pick up mud and dirt easily, so understanding how to clean white suede shoes is very important.
- Step 1. Make sure all mud or dirt is completely dry before you start your cleaning process.
- Step 2. When the mud is dry, find a brush and rub to dislodge as much dirt as possible.
- Step 3. Remove any wet stains by dabbing gently with a dry paper towel to draw out moisture. Then use a suede shoe cleaner or eraser to get at those tougher stains.
- Step 4. Dip a soft cloth in white vinegar for any further cleaning and stain removal your white suede shoes may need.
- Step 5. Leave shoes to dry and brush one final time to bring back texture.
How to Clean Faux Suede Shoes
Faux suede shoes are almost as common as real suede shoes nowadays and it’s no surprise why. They look just as fresh and are often much more stain-resistant than regular suede. That being said, your faux suede shoes will still require care and regular cleaning.
- Step 1. Similar to traditional suede, start by ensuring your shoes are dry so as not to rub in the dirt further.
- Step 2. Brush the soil away and check if there are deeper stains.
- Step 3. Using a solution of water and white vinegar wipe your faux suede shoes down.
- Step 4. Leave shoes to dry and do your final brush.
Knowing how to clean suede leather shoes is a great tool to have in your arsenal and knowing how to do so using both a suede cleaner for shoes and your own home remedy, will allow you to be prepared for any situation.
Tools & Products for All Your Suede Cleaning Needs
There are many products on the market when it comes to cleaning suede shoes with almost everyone owning some form of suede boots cleaner and a suede shoe brush. Here are a few you can purchase if you don’t want to use things found in your home. (If you do want to know how to clean suede shoes with household products, then continue below!)
- Suede Shoe Brush.
- Suede Shoe Cleaner.
If buying products isn’t for you, then learn here how to clean suede shoes using a home remedy.
First things first, you need to find replacements for all your typical suede shoe cleaner items.
- Suede Shoe Brush – swap for an old toothbrush!
- Eraser – no need for a special eraser, a pencil eraser or rubber will do the trick.
- Suede Shoe Cleaner – mix a solution of water and white vinegar.
Now you can follow this step by step guide on how to care for suede shoes and walk confidently knowing that no matter what mucky puddle you may encounter, your suede shoes will be looking brand new in no time!